I decided that it’s finally time to re-design and upgrade this site (like I was going to over three months ago), and I wasn’t going to say anything about it until I finished, but I need to mention this. In backing up everything, I found myself with a 24 MB SQL file. Now, the only tables in there are for Movable Type, and I’ve only got a couple hundred posts on this site, so I was surprised to see that it took up so much space.

Until I took a gander at the file, that is. Most of the lines started with “SpamLookup”, Sure enough, I can’t even open the Activity Log, and the mt_log table has over 75,000 rows. I can’t imagine what would have happened without SpamLookup. MT 3.2 is supposed to have decent spam prevention, so hopefully it won’t be much of a problem once I upgrade.

In a similar vein, the Spam in GMail is reaching impressive levels. For a long time, I emptied the Spam folder every few days. After a while I was nuking a dozen pages every day, so I just gave up. Messages in there are deleted after 30 days, but I’ve still got 8984 in there. A couple dozen still make it to my Inbox every day, but that’s a lot better than it could be.